Crunchy Heartland Salad with corn and edamame began as a family trek to Lake of the Ozarks!
Sometimes a recipe is inspired by things around us. Seasonal ingredients, a trip to the local produce store, what’s growing in our garden, family favorites and tradition. The recipe for Crunchy Heartland Salad came about from a family trip to Lake of the Ozarks! It’s a salad that we love to make when the corn is especially fresh, picked up at farm stands along the road or farmer’s markets. If you can’t find really good fresh corn, you can use frozen too.
A trip through the Heartland
A while back our family was able to get away for a few days to Lake of the Ozark, Missouri. Lake of the Ozark is about 7 ½ hours southwest of Chicago (unless you take a detour to the Kosher Krispy Kreme donut store in St. Louis…the extra hour detour is definitely worth it!).
|Corn on the left…|
|Soybeans on the right…|
|Soybeans on the left!|
|Corn on the right!|
The Midwest is one of the primary suppliers of corn and soy worldwide, and driving through Illinois and Missouri you can see why. We also spotted some sunflower fields which were a sunny burst of color amidst the blanket of green.
There’s a salad in here!
About the Crunchy Heartland Salad recipe
Oh that Crunchy Heartland Salad with corn and edamame…here’s the recipe!
The Crunchy Heartland Salad with edamame and corn, is a flavorful, savory and crunchy Midwest grown Salad. Whether you make it the traditional way or gluten free/vegan, the choice is yours.
- 16 ounces frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 12 ounces frozen shelled edamame, defrosted
- 1/2 cup toasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable (soybean) oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (can be gluten free)
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 2 (2-3 ounce) packages oriental style ramen noodle soup mix (can be gluten free)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, optional (can be vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- Open the ramen noodle soup mixes and remove the seasoning packets.
- Place the ramen noodles on the prepared cookie sheet, then break into small pieces.
- Toast in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes for traditional ramen and 5-6 minutes for gluten free ramen until the noodles are crisped.
- Place the corn, edamame, sunflower seeds, and green onions in a large bowl.
- Toss in the vegetable oil, rice vinegar and contents of the two seasoning packets making sure to evenly coat the vegetables, then add the toasted ramen noodles and toss to evenly distribute.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve topped with feta (optional) for a complete Midwest experience!
- 1. You can make this salad in advance, just don’t add the toasted ramen noodles until 30 minutes before serving.
- 2. Alternate method #1: Use the same amount of vegetable oil, corn, edamame, and sunflower seeds. Add ½ red onion, finely diced, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, chicken or vegetable flavored ramen noodle soup mix (can be gluten free). Proceed as directed above.
- 3. Alternate method #2: Cook 16 ounces of orzo (can be gluten free) according to package directions. Drain and cool. Blend ½ cup basil, ½ cup parsley, and 2 cloves garlic, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional), and ¼ cup vegetable oil in a food processor. Combine corn, edamame, and sunflower seeds in a bowl. Stir in orzo until thoroughly combined. Toss in blended basil mixture until orzo is completely coated. Served chilled.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 182.6 mg
- Fat: 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.1 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 10.2 g
- Cholesterol: 8.3 mg
Keywords: Corn, Edamame, Vegan Feta, Gluten Free Ramen, Healthy Salad
More Stupendous Summer recipes
More Stupendous Summer Recipes
Check out THE KOSHER EVERYDAY AMAZON INFLUENCER STOREFRONT!
I’m excited to announce the launch of my brand, spankin’ new, Amazon Influencer storefront. The purpose of this store is to share with you all of my favorite tools, ingredients and accessories that I use on Kosher Everyday. If there’s something you’d like to see please let me know and I’ll make sure to add it. I’m updating the storefront all the time.
You can find all the cool serving pieces that were shown above as well as other fabulous pieces in my Decorative Serving and Kitchen Items section.
I’d love to hear what you think!
Make sure to check out my AMAZON PRIME DAY 2022 SHOP! Filled with great deals that I found on Amazon Prime Day 2022!
Don’t forget to follow Kosher Everyday on Instagram @koshereveryday! and on Facebook You don’t want to miss all the fun and interesting posts and reels that can be found nowhere else!
You can find reels showing how to make most of my recipes on Instagram!
Also, make sure to tag @koshereveryday when you make Kosher Everyday recipes! I LOVE to see your creations!!!
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your ongoing support!