The Crunchy Heartland Salad with edamame and corn, is a flavorful, savory and crunchy Midwest grown Salad. Whether you make it the traditional way or gluten free/vegan, the choice is yours.
- 16 ounces frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 12 ounces frozen shelled edamame, defrosted
- 1/2 cup toasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable (soybean) oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (can be gluten free)
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 2 (2-3 ounce) packages oriental style ramen noodle soup mix (can be gluten free)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, optional (can be vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- Open the ramen noodle soup mixes and remove the seasoning packets.
- Place the ramen noodles on the prepared cookie sheet, then break into small pieces.
- Toast in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes for traditional ramen and 5-6 minutes for gluten free ramen until the noodles are crisped.
- Place the corn, edamame, sunflower seeds, and green onions in a large bowl.
- Toss in the vegetable oil, rice vinegar and contents of the two seasoning packets making sure to evenly coat the vegetables, then add the toasted ramen noodles and toss to evenly distribute.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve topped with feta (optional) for a complete Midwest experience!
- 1. You can make this salad in advance, just don’t add the toasted ramen noodles until 30 minutes before serving.
- 2. Alternate method #1: Use the same amount of vegetable oil, corn, edamame, and sunflower seeds. Add ½ red onion, finely diced, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, chicken or vegetable flavored ramen noodle soup mix (can be gluten free). Proceed as directed above.
- 3. Alternate method #2: Cook 16 ounces of orzo (can be gluten free) according to package directions. Drain and cool. Blend ½ cup basil, ½ cup parsley, and 2 cloves garlic, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional), and ¼ cup vegetable oil in a food processor. Combine corn, edamame, and sunflower seeds in a bowl. Stir in orzo until thoroughly combined. Toss in blended basil mixture until orzo is completely coated. Served chilled.
Keywords: Corn, Edamame, Vegan Feta, Gluten Free Ramen, Healthy Salad