Honey Pomegranate Salmon is festive and delicious!
It’s the Honey/Pomegranate/Apple time of year.
It’s the time of year when everything is “Honey Pomegranate this and Apple Honey that”.
It’s the time of year when we eat all kinds of symbolic foods call “simanim”. We hope that the positive blessings, represented in the prayers we say, will translate into actual concrete benedictions for the upcoming Jewish New Year.
Rosh Hashanah Blessings
Some of the blessings that are often said on Rosh Hashanah are on apples, honey, pomegranates and fish.
Thanks to Torah.org for their simple explanations of the blessing we say on Rosh Hashanah.
“…She’nif’reh v’nir’beh ki’dagim.”
“…that we be fruitful and multiply like fish.”
Apple & Honey
“…she’tichadesh aleinu shana tova u’m’tuka.”
“…that you renew us for a good and sweet year.”
“…she’nirbeh ze’chu’yos k’rimon”
“…that our merits increase like (the seeds of) a pomegranate.”
Putting Honey, Pomegranates and Fish together
It seems reasonable to me, that the best thing to do would be to put as many of the blessing foods together so they represent one really really big blessing.
Do you follow my logic?
Sometimes even I have trouble following my logic…
I decided to put three big, symbolic foods together into one recipe. I didn’t just throw foods together and hope for the best. That would defeat the purpose. You don’t want a huge, positive blessing – represented in the form of food, to taste…cursed.
While it took some thought on my part, the end result tasted really really good and was fairly easy to make.
Here’s the recipe
This recipe is very pretty plated. You can serve it as a main or as an appetizer, cutting each fillet in half if they are too large. Make sure to have extra pomegranate arils and green onion for garnish. They add a pop of color to each plate.
You do need some pomegranate molasses/syrup for this recipe. I’ll put an Amazon link after the recipe so you can purchase it online if you have trouble finding it locally.Print
Honey Pomegranate Salmon is a little sweet, a little tart and really flavorful! Perfect for Rosh Hashanah or just a lovely appetizer or dinner.
- 6 salmon fillets, skin on (around 2.5–3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate syrup/molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil
- 1 tablespoon dried green onion/chives
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- pomegranate arils and freshly sliced green onions for garnish.
- Place the fish in a 9 x 13-inch pan, skin side down. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pomegranate syrup, honey, pomegranate juice, white pepper, sea salt, garlic oil, and green onion. Whisk to blend.
- Pour the marinade over the salmon. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place the salmon on a greased baking sheet, reserving the marinade.
- Broil the salmon, using medium heat, for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the salmon is cooking, transfer the marinade to a small sauce pan. Whisk in the corn starch until completely blended.
- Cook the marinade over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly with at wooden spoon or silicone spatula.
- Remove the salmon from the oven. Spoon the sauce over the salmon and garnish with pomegranate arils and fresh green onions.
You can serve this fish as an appetizer by cutting each piece in half and serving on a smaller plate.
Keywords: Honey, Pomegranate, Salmon, Rosh Hashanah, Rosh Hashana, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free
ROSH HASHANAH GIVEAWAY
While the Rosh Hashanah Giveaway may have ended please make sure to visit the awesome companies that participated!
Here are some extra coupon codes that you can use at these sites:
Sophistiplate – use code KOSHEREVERYDAY 20% OFF
Kids Kippot – use code KOSHEREVERYDAY 10% OFF
SHABBOS UNDER PRESSURE
One of the fabulous prizes in the Rosh Hashanah 2021 Giveaway was my Electric Pressure Cooker cookbook! It’s got a ton of great, delicious and super quick recipes that are perfect for Rosh Hashanah!
Traditional Chicken Soup, Gefilte Fish, Pomegranate Chicken, Coca Cola Roast, Hot Tamale Apples and much much more!
Here’s a link!
MORE FABULOUS ROSH HASHANAH RECIPES
Here are some links to more wonderful Rosh Hashanah recipes!
- Frozen Apple Sorbet
- Cinnamon Roll Challah
- Kale Pomegranate and Mango Salad with Honey Pomegranate Dressing
- Brown Sugar Meringue with Apple Filling
- Honey Ginger Rainbow Carrot Roses
- Challah Birds with Apple Honey Nests
- Golden Beets with Mandarin Oranges
- Apple Pie Parfaits
- Shredded Carrot Kugel Muffins
- Traditional Tzimmes
- Impossible Stuffed Cabbage
What recipes would you like to see for this upcoming Rosh Hashanah? I’d love to get your feedback?
What are you making for the Holiday?
Don’t forget to follow Kosher Everyday on Instagram @koshereveryday! and on Facebook You don’t want to miss all the fun and interesting posts and reels that can be found nowhere else!
You can find reels showing how to make Brown Sugar Meringue with Apple Filling and many other recipes on Instagram!
Also, make sure to tag @koshereveryday when you make Kosher Everyday recipes! I LOVE to see your creations!!!
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your ongoing support!