The Original Hash Brown Potato Latkes
This may come as a surprise…you might want to sit down – I don’t make everything from scratch (ask me about my world famous matzoh ball recipe). When leading a somewhat hectic life something has to give. We are working, raising our families (or trying to), being hosts and juggling 600 different things at once. Things are a little crazy around here! So, I propose making life easier when possible, but doing it in a way that NO ONE KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE! Genius, really. Save time, still make everyone happy. It’s a win/win situation.
Now, with Chanukah coming, one of the MOST time consuming tasks is peeling those tiny potatoes for potato latkes. In order to make enough latkes for the ravenous crowd you need to peel around 100 of them. After that you have to grate or grind them, and if you are a purist you will actually use a hand grater to do the job. Then, because you have made such delicious latkes, the swarm comes and devours them in five minutes flat. You are left with the joy of knowing that you fed your hungry crowd – until they ask for more!
How I came up with the recipe for the Original Hash Brown Potato Latkes
In a moment of self preservation, the concept of Hash Brown Potato Latkes was born. Hash Browns come in the refrigerated or freezer section of the grocery store. They are basically shredded potatoes with minimal added ingredients. They also come in fun flavors such as southwest or cheddar, giving you additional variety without extra work. You can still add other grated vegetables such as zucchini or sweet potatoes. Having time to sit down and enjoy the meal with the family – now that is one of the real miracles of Chanukah!
|Made with store bought
Hash Brown potatoes…
but you’d never know it!!!
Here’s the Recipe for the Original Hash Brown Potato LatkesPrint
- 1 lb Hash Browns (defrosted if frozen)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Canola Oil for frying
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined. In a large skillet, heat oil. Drop large spoonfuls of potato mixture into the oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. Serve warm with apple sauce or sour cream.
- ZUCCHINI OR SWEET POTATO HASH BROWN LATKES
- Add 2-3 large grated zucchinis or 2 large grated sweet potatoes to the mix. Add one additional egg, 2 tablespoons flour, and ¼ teaspoon baking powder to the potato mixture. Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- SOUTHWEST HASH BROWN POTATO LATKES
- Use Southwest style hash brown potatoes. As potatoes are pre-spiced, omit pepper from recipe. Proceed as directed above. These can be served with Salsa on the side.
- CHEESY HASH BROWN POTATO LATKES
- Add 8 ounces of shredded mozerella or cheddar to the latke mix. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Serve warm with marinara sauce.
More Mouthwatering Latke Recipes