Here’s a super happy latke recipe for the middle of Chanukah!
I mean a name like “Sunshine Salad Latkes” evokes joy and inner warmth, doesn’t it?
This latke recipe is based upon my Mother’s (z”l) delicious “Sunshine Salad”, made with a base of shredded carrots, pineapple and golden raisins. At some point I’ll post my version of the recipe . It’s just a sunshiny, pretty, and colorful salad.
The premise of using carrots, pineapple and golden raisins in a latke really appealed to me. Sweet, fried and a little savory. Complete deliciousness.
Make sure to save some extra crushed pineapple for the top of the latkes!
Here’s the super simple recipe:Print
These delicious latkes are the perfect side dish to any (Chanukah) meal. Sweet from the pineapple and golden raisins and savory from the green onions, carrots and potatoes, these are a family favorite!
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose-flour (can be gluten free)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 large green onions, thinly sliced
- Peanut or avocado oil for frying
- Shred the carrots and potatoes using a food processor or by hand. Combine the shredded carrots and potatoes in a large bowl. Blend in the eggs.
- Stir in the flour, brown sugar, kosher salt and baking powder making sure the mixture is completely blended.
- Stir in the crushed pineapple, raisins and green onions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat around 1/2-inch oil over medium/high heat. You can test the oil for doneness by dropping a small amount of batter in the pan. If it sizzles then the oil is ready for frying.
- Scoop 1/2 cups of batter into the oil, flatten slightly if necessary. Fry until both sides are golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with apple sauce or extra crushed pineapple. These are good hot or cold.
- I heard that adding a carrot to the skillet while frying latkes keeps the oil from turning dark. I plan on trying it the next time I make latkes!
I’m sure you’re looking for more fabulous recipes for Chanukah and beyond! Make sure to check out Shabbos Under Pressure, Cooking with Pressure = Pressure Free Cooking on Amazon!! There are tons of hearty, warm, savory and sweet recipes that you can make in the new Instant Pot you’re going to get as a Chanukah gift, and that you might already have.