Here’s a super happy latke recipe for the middle of Chanukah!
I mean a name like “Sunshine Salad Latkes” evokes joy and inner warmth, doesn’t it?
This latke recipe is based upon my Mother’s (z”l) delicious “Sunshine Salad”, made with a base of shredded carrots, pineapple and golden raisins. At some point I’ll post my version of the recipe . It’s just a sunshiny, pretty, and colorful salad.
The premise of using carrots, pineapple and golden raisins in a latke really appealed to me. Sweet, fried and a little savory. Complete deliciousness.
Make sure to save some extra crushed pineapple for the top of the latkes!
Here’s the super simple recipe:
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose-flour (can be gluten free)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 large green onions, thinly sliced
- Peanut or avocado oil for frying
- Shred the carrots and potatoes using a food processor or by hand. Combine the shredded carrots and potatoes in a large bowl. Blend in the eggs.
- Stir in the flour, brown sugar, kosher salt and baking powder making sure the mixture is completely blended.
- Stir in the crushed pineapple, raisins and green onions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat around 1/2-inch oil over medium/high heat. You can test the oil for doneness by dropping a small amount of batter in the pan. If it sizzles then the oil is ready for frying.
- Scoop 1/2 cups of batter into the oil, flatten slightly if necessary. Fry until both sides are golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with apple sauce or extra crushed pineapple. These are good hot or cold.
- I heard that adding a carrot to the skillet while frying latkes keeps the oil from turning dark. I plan on trying it the next time I make latkes!
I’m sure you’re looking for more fabulous recipes for Chanukah and beyond! Make sure to check out Shabbos Under Pressure, Cooking with Pressure = Pressure Free Cooking on Amazon!! There are tons of hearty, warm, savory and sweet recipes that you can make in the new Instant Pot you’re going to get as a Chanukah gift, and that you might already have.