- 1-pound Hash Browns (defrosted if frozen)
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 2-3 chopped sprigs of green onion/scallions
- 1-2 minced green Thai chilis (small green chilis)
- 1/2 cup of cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder or cayenne pepper (not to be confused with brown chili powder)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup flour (can be gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Canola Oil for frying
- Cooling yogurt dip like tzatziki or raita (optional)
- Mint and date chutneys (optional)
Darcy has a Sephardic background and used the Original Hash Brown Potato Latke recipe as a starting point.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Drop spoonful's of the latke mixture into the oil. Cook until browned on both sides.
- Repeat with the remaining latke batter.
- Pair these latkes with a cooling yogurt dip like tzatziki or raita, or with mint and date chutneys.
For less heat, use only 1 green chili and reduce the red hot chili powder (or cayenne) to 1/4 tsp.