I’ve made tons…TONS…of different types of latkes in the past.
But…I’ve never published a “formal” S’mores Latke recipe.
These latkes got rave reviews from all that ate them (not just me), and people loved the secret ingredient. Especially because they were super surprised by the fact that that ingredient was in the latkes!!!
Can you guess what the secret ingredient is before we get to the recipe? Here are some clues:
- I wanted to create a S’mores latke recipe that didn’t have actual graham crackers in it. I knew there had to be some flour, but I also wanted GFE’s (gluten free eaters) to be able to make these as well. Real graham flour is not gluten free, and gluten free graham crackers would get mushy.
- I wanted the graham-tasting ingredient to be natural.
- I wanted the graham-tasting ingredient to be accessible to most people.
- I didn’t want an overpowering weird taste in the latkes.
- The secret ingredient had to blend well with potatoes, but not be a potato.
- I liked the idea of the ingredient being an actual vegetable.
- I didn’t want a strangely colored latke.
- I wanted people to say “Hmmm…that’s really good…I never would have guessed that you put (insert secret ingredient here) into these!
So…have you figured out what the secret ingredient is yet???
Here’s the recipe…Print
Secret Ingredient S’mores Latkes
- Yield: 20 1x
These dessert latkes can be served with chocolate syrup, whipped cream or s’more toasted marshmallows. The “secret ingredient” is a healthy daikon root which lends a “grahamy” taste to the latkes. Trust me…you’ll love these SO much you’ll want s’more!
- 1 1/2 pounds (one large) daikon root, peeled and shredded
- 1 1/4 pounds (3 medium) Idaho potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose-flour (can be gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Avocado oil spray for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the daikon, potato, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla, eggs and oil until blended.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Spray the skillet with avocado oil spray until there is a thin layer of oil on the bottom of the pan.
- Scoop 1/2 cupful’s of batter onto the skillet. Cook until browned on each side.
- Repeat with the remaining latke batter, carefully wiping out the browned chocolate and marshmallow bits from the bottom of the skillet with a paper towel when necessary.
- Serve hot.
Here’s how I did it:
I’m sure you’re looking for the perfect Chanukah gift and more fabulous recipes! Make sure to check out Shabbos Under Pressure, Cooking with Pressure = Pressure Free Cooking on Amazon!! There are tons of hearty, warm, savory and sweet recipes that you can make in the new Instant Pot you bought on Black Friday, get as a Chanukah gift, and that you might already have. You can even buy a new pressure cooker and Shabbos Under Pressure as a gift for yourself!!!
Looking for more Chaukah recipes??? Here you go!
Leave a Reply