Chocolate Chip Plantain Pancakes
I am incredibly blessed to have a menchlach, smart, beautiful, wonderful, kind, creative, enthusiastic daughter in law – from Venezuela. How cool is that??? It’s been really fun to learn some of her favorite Venezuelan recipes. Can you say Arepas? One of the recipes she taught our family was for Plantain Pancakes. I modified her recipe, and created Chocolate Chip Plantain Pancakes.
She is very excited to try the new recipe! It’s true, she told me so herself!
What’s the Difference Between a Banana and a Plantain?
You might be wondering what the difference between plantains and bananas are. Here is what I found.
This information comes from www.foodsforbetterhealth.com:
- Plantains resemble green bananas, but when they ripen, they turn black and are used as a vegetable.
- Bananas have a thinner skin, and when ripen, they turn yellow.
- Plantains have a thicker skin, natural brown spots, and rough areas.
- Fresh plantains have more vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium than bananas.
- Plantains are starchy while bananas taste sweet.
- The size of a plantain and banana also differ, as plantains are usually longer than bananas.
- The Glycemic Index of plantain and banana is 40 and 52, respectively.
It’s really really important to use very ripe plantains for this recipe. They will be a little sweet, an will be much softer than the unripe plantains. Similar to an unripe banana…unripe plantains are not what we’re looking for in this recipe.
Ripe plantains will be kind of nasty looking, slightly soft, with lots of brown spots. Those are perfect for this recipe!
Chocolate Chip Plantain Pancakes are fairly simple to make
The original recipe basically calls for plantains and eggs. That’s it.
I changed the recipe to have a slightly more substance, adding a little flour and baking powder and of course good quality chocolate chips.
Pancakes are always better with chocolate chips.
All you need is a ripe plantain and a food processor (ok a few other pantry friendly ingredients) and you’re ready to go. The batter is super rich and creamy and cooks fairly quickly.
Be careful to watch the pancakes closely as they cook, or they could burn. And that, my friends, would be a huge avoidable bummer.
Chocolate Chip Plantain Pancakes – the Recipe
Here is the recipe for light and fluffy plantain pancakes. For a simpler version you can blend ripe plantains and egg. They’ll be delicious, just not as fluffy.Print
Chocolate Chip Plantain Pancakes are made with super ripe plantains and most excellent quality chocolate making them a healthy, uniquely flavorful, breakfast treat. Super ripe plantains make these Chocolate Chip Plantain Pancakes the most moist and flavorful ever. They’re the perfect Mother’s Day breakfast/brunch, and Mom will love you (even more!) for them.
- 1 large, ripe plantain, peeled and cut into four pieces
- 1 large egg or 3 tablespoons JUST Egg replacer
- 1/2 cup (gluten free) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- oil or non-stick spray for frying
- Place plantain in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until almost smooth.
- Add the egg and pulse until just blended.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Pulse until blended and creamy.
- Transfer the pancake batter to a medium bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Heat a skillet or pancake pan over medium/high heat.
- Grease the pan, then scoop spoonfuls of batter onto the skillet.
- Brown on both sides.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
I frequently double this recipe.
You can store Chocolate Chip Plantain Pancakes for up to three days in the refrigerator.
To make these Kosher for Passover here are two alternatives:
I frequently make Plantain Pancakes year round, and made them a lot for Passover, substituting potato starch for the all-purpose-gluten-free-flour. They are hugely popular, super simple to make, and a perfect Passover breakfast dish!
This year I made them Kosher for Passover by doubling the recipe and increase the eggs to 3 large eggs. Replace the 1/2 cup gluten free flour with 2 teaspoons gluten free cake meal. They will be slightly softer than the year round ones but still excellent.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 81
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 37.4 mg
- Fat: 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 18.6 mg
Keywords: Pancakes, Gluten Free Pancakes, Plantain Pancakes, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Plantains, Plantain, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Plant Based, Pareve, Mother's Day
THE BEST BREAKFAST RECIPES
HERE’S SOMETHING NEW – THE KOSHER EVERYDAY AMAZON INFLUENCER STOREFRONT!
I’m excited to announce the launch of my brand, spankin’ new, Amazon Influencer storefront. The purpose of this store is to share with you all of my favorite tools, ingredients and accessories that I use on Kosher Everyday. If there’s something you’d like to see please let me know and I’ll make sure to add it. I’m updating the storefront all the time.
I’d love to hear what you think!
Don’t forget to follow Kosher Everyday on Instagram @koshereveryday! and on Facebook You don’t want to miss all the fun and interesting posts and reels that can be found nowhere else!
You can find reels showing how to make most of my recipes on Instagram!
Also, make sure to tag @koshereveryday when you make Kosher Everyday recipes! I LOVE to see your creations!!!
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your ongoing support!