Chocolate Chip Plantain Pancakes are made with super ripe plantains and most excellent quality chocolate making them a healthy, uniquely flavorful, breakfast treat. Super ripe plantains make these Chocolate Chip Plantain Pancakes the most moist and flavorful ever. They’re the perfect Mother’s Day breakfast/brunch, and Mom will love you (even more!) for them.
- 1 large, ripe plantain, peeled and cut into four pieces
- 1 large egg or 3 tablespoons JUST Egg replacer
- 1/2 cup (gluten free) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- oil or non-stick spray for frying
- Place plantain in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until almost smooth.
- Add the egg and pulse until just blended.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Pulse until blended and creamy.
- Transfer the pancake batter to a medium bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Heat a skillet or pancake pan over medium/high heat.
- Grease the pan, then scoop spoonfuls of batter onto the skillet.
- Brown on both sides.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
I frequently double this recipe.
You can store Chocolate Chip Plantain Pancakes for up to three days in the refrigerator.
I frequently make Plantain Pancakes year round, and made them a lot for Passover, substituting potato starch for the all-purpose-gluten-free-flour. They are hugely popular, super simple to make, and a perfect Passover breakfast dish!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 81
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 37.4 mg
- Fat: 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 18.6 mg
Keywords: Pancakes, Gluten Free Pancakes, Plantain Pancakes, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Plantains, Plantain, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Plant Based, Pareve, Mother's Day