I started with a good quality bowtie pasta – it needs to be able to hold its shape when being stir fried after cooking. I then added chick peas. Chick peas happen to be a stealthily healthy food. Most people know of chick peas from hummus, falafel and from big bowls of them at Shalom Zachors, but you can use them for other recipes and they are chock full of good nutrition! I looked online and found on the http://health.learninginfo.org/chickpeas.htm web page a lot of stats to back that up. Chick peas are a good source of folate, protein, fiber, calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc! Shocking! Healthy, but sadly, kind of drab looking. This recipe needed some pretty color. I added corn. Corn is a starchy vegetable but still nutritious. Then, the secret ingredient that tied it all together – the spice packet! In a big wok or skillet the entire recipe was cooked until the bowties were browned, slightly crispy and pretty. I was able to find a delicious shredded parmesan cheese at the store this week, but I have topped this recipe with part skim shredded mozzarella or grated parmesan cheese too. If you want to keep the dish pareve use a pareve spice packet and skip the cheese – it’s great that way too. An added bonus is that is smells amazing when it’s cooking. The leftovers are excellent for an easy lunch the next day if you can get to them before someone else shnookers them!Print
This is a family favorite and is especially delicious topped with grated cheese.
- 16 ounces bow tie pasta
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt (preferably sea salt)
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 15 ounce cans chick peas, drained
- 1 pound frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 spice packet
- 4 ounces shredded parmesan, or grated parmesan, or shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large 6-8 quart stockpot bring water, salt and oil to a boil.
- Add pasta and stir.
- Cook according to package directions (approximately 10-12 minutes).
- Take a piece out and taste it – it should be firm but not hard in the center.
- Drain pasta, but don’t rinse.
- Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok heat oil over medium heat.
- Add pasta, chick peas, and corn.
- Stir until ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Add spice packet.
- Stir until spices are evenly distributed.
- Continue to stir until pasta is browned, approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with cheese sprinkled on top. Enjoy!!