Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers
Sushi is a staple in our household. While we may differ over the types of rice (white or brown), type of protein (tuna, salmon or mock crab), and (not) spicy, we all love the fact that sushi is a complete meal in a single dish. Since I happen to love spicy tuna sushi, the best part of Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers? You can hold it in your hand, just like a burger! No need for fancy chopsticks. It’s sushi, reimagined, perfect for those days when you’re craving sushi but also feeling a bit burger-ish.
Making Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers
There are a few classic ingredients in Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers and a couple of simple tricks that help make assembling them easier.
The Sushi Rice
This is your classic short grain sushi rice. I do rinse the rice before cooking otherwise it’s too sticky. I find that it’s important that you add the sugar and seasoned rice vinegar when the rice is just cooked and warm so it’s completely absorbed. While I used white short grain rice, I could just as easily have used brown short grain rice. It wouldn’t have been as pretty though.
I also made sure to divide the rice into eight portions before beginning the assembling process. This way I didn’t run short or short change any of the burgers during production.
The Tuna in Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers
You want to make sure that you’re purchasing sushi grade fresh tuna. This is the kind of tuna that your local sushi joint uses. You can also use sushi grade salmon or mock crab (usually comes frozen). Any of these would be great.
I made sure to dice the beautiful tuna into small, bite size pieces.
You can use any brand of spicy mayo or make your own by combining sriracha sauce and mayo to your desired spiciness. I was privledged to receive a “care” package from Liebers that had a squeeze bottle of spicy may and it worked perfectly. You can also snag some if you buy sushi and save it for when you make your Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers!
The spicy mayo is added to the diced tuna and when building the burger. It’s a wonderful plethora of spicy goodness.
On the TikTok video by victoriaminell she cuts up some extra nori sheets to account for the fact that a single sheet of nori wouldn’t cover an entire burger. It’s absolutely brilliant and I adopted that method here as well.
Two sheets of nori are cut into four pieces each – totalling eight “squares” which are then placed on top of the assembled burger before wrapping the entire thing in plastic.
It’s a beautiful thing to behold.
Assembling the Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers
- Cut two sheets of nori into 4 pieces each.
- Start with a sheet of plastic that is larger than a sheet of nori, then place a sheet of nori on the plastic.
- Pat some rice into a square on the nori, then top with black sesame seeds, cucumber, spicy tuna, avocado, shredded carrots, more spicy mayo, then another flattened smush of sushi rice.
- Remember those cut squares? One of those goes on top of the rice but with the corners along the non-corner sides of the flat nori on the bottom. It allows for more coverage.
- Gather the plastic around the burger and carefully press out any air.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, then unwrap and cut in half.
Super simple right?
Here’s the recipe for Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers
Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers are easily customizable with your favorite protein, veggies and sauces. I made them the way I like them but feel free to go wild and invent your own. Just make sure to send pics!
The best part of Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers? You can hold them in your hand, just like a burger! No need for fancy chopsticks. It’s sushi, reimagined, perfect for those days when you’re craving sushi but also feeling a bit burger-ish.
For the Sushi Rice
- 3 cups sushi rice (white or brown), rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
For the Sushi Burgers
- 10 rectangular/square nori sheets
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1 medium English/seedless cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 1 pound sushi grade tuna, diced
- 1/4 cup spicy/sriracha mayonnaise
- 2 large avocados, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- additional mayonnaise for drizzling and dipping
For the Sushi Rice
- Combine the rice and water in a large stock pot, then bring it to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Cover the rice with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the heat and fluff with a fork. Stir in the sugar and rice vinegar.
- Cover a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Divide the rice into 8 portions. Set aside.
For the Sushi Burgers
- Using a sharp kitchen scissors, cut two nori sheets into 4 squares each. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the tuna and the spicy mayonnaise. Evenly divide the tuna into 8 portions on a plate or cutting board.
- Divide the cucumbers, avocado and carrots, each into 8 separate portions. Set aside.
To Assemble the Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers
- Place a large sheet of plastic on a work surface, then top with a whole nori sheet.
- Take half of one of the eight rice portions and press it into a square onto the center of the nori sheet.
- Sprinkle the rice with sesame seeds, top with 6 cucumber slices, then a spicy tuna portion, avocado, carrots, then drizzle with additional spicy mayonnaise. Take the remaining half portion of rice and press it into a square and carefully place it on top of the stack.
- Set one of the cut nori pieces on top of the stack, offset with the bottom nori so that the corners are not matching. Fold the bottom nori sheet around the burger and pull the plastic wrap around the Sushi Burger. Set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to form 7 more burgers.
- Refrigerate the Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers for at least an hour and no more than 24 hours.
- Unwrap the burgers and cut in half.
- Serve with additional spicy mayonnaise and your favorite sushi toppings.
You can easily personalize these sushi burgers using your favorite sushi ingredients.
I actually made four cups of the burger rice instead of three. It’s great to have extra for a quick lunch or if you want a nosh later in that evening. Simply use 4 cups of rice, 4 cups of water, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar.
- Serving Size: 1 Spicy Tuna Sushi Burger
- Calories: 444
- Sugar: 6.1 g
- Sodium: 102.6 mg
- Fat: 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 70.4 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 20.2 g
- Cholesterol: 23.3 mg
Keywords: Sushi Burger, Spicy Tuna Sushi, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Dinner, Pareve, Healthy, Healthy Dinner, Grab-and-go
Here’s how I made Spicy Tuna Sushi Burgers on Instagram @koshereveryday
View this post on Instagram
More Awesome Asian Style Dishes
CHECK OUT THE KOSHER EVERYDAY AMAZON INFLUENCER STOREFRONT!
I’m excited to announce the launch of my brand, spankin’ new, Amazon Influencer storefront. The purpose of this store is to share with you all of my favorite tools, ingredients and accessories that I use on Kosher Everyday. If there’s something you’d like to see please let me know and I’ll make sure to add it. I’m updating the storefront all the time.
I’ve put together a complete Gluten Free Challah Storefront with everything you need to make fabulous Gluten Free Challah!
Additionally there is a Small Appliance Storefront with many awesome small appliances that I recommend for your kitchen…even if you have a small space!
I’d love to hear what you think!
Don’t forget to follow Kosher Everyday on Instagram @koshereveryday! and on Facebook You don’t want to miss all the fun and interesting posts and reels that can be found nowhere else!
You can find reels showing how to make most of my recipes on Instagram!
Also, make sure to tag @koshereveryday when you make Kosher Everyday recipes! I LOVE to see your creations!!!
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your ongoing support!