Cranberry Almond Biscotti are a festive treat
I first came across Cranberry Almond Biscotti an eon ago on the Ocean Spray website, before computers even existed.
I’ve made them for years and they’re always super popular. They’re fruity from the dried cranberries, crunchy because of the double baking and almonds, with cinnamon, nutmeg and almond extract for extra flavor.
Then I became a GFE (Gluten Free Eater).
No more Cranberry Almond Biscotti for me.
Cranberry Almond Biscotti for the GFE!
There was no way I was going to be without my Cranberry Almond Biscotti.
The only solution was to make them gluten free. I also wanted to change a few of the original ingredients to reflect, what I thought was, a more balanced biscotti texture and flavor.
I started with the flour. I almost always substitute Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Flour in the blue bag for glutenous flour. I find it works the best of all the other ones I’ve tried. The only caveat is that you must be cautious about the quantity being used in some baked goods – like biscotti.
The original recipe calls for 2 1/4 cups of flour. I reduced that amount to 2 cups and I think it works better.
I also reduced the amount of dried cranberries to one cup rather than a cup and a half. It was just too much. However, if you absolutely must have more cranberries…feel free to increase back to a cup and a half.
Additionally, I reduced the sugar to 3/4 cups from a cup. They are incredibly sweet otherwise.
Finally, the Ocean Spray recipe calls for 3/4 cup sliced almonds. I modified the recipe to include slivered almonds instead. I find it cuts better and there’s a little better nutty, almondy crunch.
Basically the only thing that’s the same as the original recipe is that they’re biscotti and they have dried cranberries.
You’ve been warned
Cranberry Almond Biscotti are insanely addictive. It’s easy to grab a couple to eat for breakfast, for a snack, for lunch, after lunch, after dinner, with coffee, with tea, as a nosh, as a hostess gift, for dessert, at a holiday meal, or a midnight snack.
You get the idea.
I had to cut myself off.
But…I’m back to making them again and just trying to exhibit some self control.
It’s not easy.
Here’s the recipe
One of the things that’s cool about making any type of biscotti is that you double bake them for optimum crunchiness. Done correctly, the biscotti isn’t rock hard, but just hard enough that they are perfect with a cup of coffee etc.
I like to make mine a little wider, however you can make them narrower and a little taller.Print
Cranberry Almond Biscotti are crunchy cookies bursting with cranberry flavors. These cinnamon and nutmeg spiced cookies taste like holiday time! They’re GF too!
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 cup (5-ounces) sweetened dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a measuring cup whisk the eggs and egg whites. Using a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon, stir the eggs into the dry ingredients until a thick dough is formed.
- Stir/knead the cranberries and almonds into the dough.
- Form a long dough log on the prepared parchment lined baking sheet, around three to four-inches wide by around 14-inches long.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Using oven mitts, place the cookie log on a large heat resistant cutting board.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300ºF.
- Cut the log into 1/2-inch slices. Return the slices to the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake the biscotti for an additional 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1 biscotti
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 15.2 g
- Sodium: 50.1 mg
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.9 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 20.7 mg
Keywords: Cranberry Almond Biscotti, Cranberry, Cranberries, Biscotti, Holiday Cookies, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Chanuka, Hanukkah
More Terrific Treats
- Speedy Scrumptious Apple Pie Snack Cake
- Chocolate Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Bread
- Dark Chocolate Rocky Road Bars
- Awesome Painted Cookies
Don’t forget to follow Kosher Everyday on Instagram @koshereveryday! and on Facebook You don’t want to miss all the fun and interesting posts and reels that can be found nowhere else!
You can find reels showing how to make most of my recipes on Instagram!
Also, make sure to tag @koshereveryday when you make Kosher Everyday recipes! I LOVE to see your creations!!!
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your ongoing support!