A great healthy, warm, and spicy
start to the New Year!!
“Wait!” shouted that little voice in my head (you mean you didn’t hear it too?), “You’re telling everyone that this recipe is healthy…how do you know it’s really healthy?” That’s an easy one! I found this fantastic web site, http://caloriecount.about.com that actually calculates the nutritional information of any recipe and most of the foods that you eat every day. I entered the recipe for Chill”-i and Black Bean Quesadillas and was pleasantly rewarded. The recipe IS healthy (hooray!)!! It’s high in fiber, low in cholesterol, low in sugar, high in calcium, and high in vitamin B12. The downside of the recipe is that the tortillas I used were high in sodium making the whole recipe a little high in sodium. The way to resolve that problem would be to rinse the canned black beans and to find healthier tortillas that are lower in sodium – an easy fix!
“Chill”-i Black Bean Quesadillas
- Cook Time: 6
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- 2 7 1/2 – 8 inch whole grain flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup imitation ground beef (like Morningstar Farms), defrosted
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the imitation ground beef, chili powder, and crushed red pepper.
- Set aside.
- Heat an ungreased skillet over medium –high heat.
- Place one of the tortillas in the skillet.
- Top with ¼ cup of the mozzarella cheese, evenly spreading the cheese over the tortilla.
- Evenly spoon the black beans over the cheese, then top with the imitation meat mixture.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese over the imitation meat.
- Press the second tortilla onto the imitation meat mixture.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the cheese starts to melt and the bottom tortilla browns.
- Use a large spatula to carefully flip the Quesadilla over, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the bottom tortilla is browned.
- Remove from the skillet and cut into 4 wedges.
- Serve with sour cream or salsa.
- Adding 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper will give this quesadilla a real kick!
- If you like your quesadilla a little milder use 1/8 each teaspoon chili powder and crushed red pepper.
- Serving Size: 2
Leave a Reply