Now for this week’s recipe: You all know that I’ve been working on taking off some of the extra baggage (read: weight) that I’ve put on the past few months by following my own advice – exercising and eating healthier. One of the ways to do that is to cut out fat and to eat more vegetables and whole grains. Many years ago I found a great variation of my Teriyaki Wild Riceon the back of a Lundberg Rice package. I often find that the recipes on the back of packages are really good – they’re trying to entice you to buy their products right? Why would they give you a stinky recipe if they want you to buy their product again? The recipe is a simple one without a lot of labor, but takes a while to make. By letting the vegetables cook in the teriyaki sauce until all the liquid is gone, the vegetables really pack a lot of “teriyakish” flavor. Also, you can even make this recipe gluten free (for the GFE!) by using gluten free Teriyaki sauce without any change in the recipe’s taste or consistency. I like to find a really pretty looking multi-grain wild rice blend to use in this recipe – you can use your favorite. You could even make this recipe more exotic by using different types of mushrooms such as shitake, oyster or crimini. This rice is a great for a weeknight leftover side dish too – which is great when you’re really busy!!!!
Teriyaki Wild Rice
- 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 large Vidalia onion diced (around 3 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced (around 2 cups)
- 1 pound mushrooms, very thinly sliced
- 3 cups wild rice blend (no seasoning added)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Heat the teriyaki sauce in a large wok or skillet.
- Add the onions and celery.
- Sauté over medium-high heat for 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for another 10-12 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the vegetables are beginning to brown.
- Add the wild rice blend and stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes (or longer according to package directions).
- Remove from heat and allow the rice to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- This is a great side dish for meat, chicken or fish.
Leave a Reply