|Yummy Soft Ginger DATE Cookies!
Great for Tu B’Shvat and
a Motei Sabbat “date”
- 3/4 cups hot coffee
- 1 cup chopped, pitted dates
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/4 cup organic blackstrap molasses (I used regular but blackstrap would be better)
- 1 1/2 cups organic spelt flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white peper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (I used more than that to top the cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine coffee and dates and stir in baking soda.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Put mixture in a food processor; process until nearly smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and molasses.
- Continue whisking and add date puree.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, salt, and spices.
- Stir into date mixture.
- Stir in ginger pieces until combined.
- Freeze till very firm but scoopable (30 minutes).
- Using a teaspoon, drop dough into little mounds, a few inches apart, on a parchment-lined tray.
- Sprinkle sugar over cookies, Bake 10 minutes or until they feel spongy yet firm and spring back when gently poked.
- Makes 30 cookies.