- 16 ounces extra-firm tofu, cubed and patted dry with paper towels
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons canola or avocado oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Filled with hearty ingredients like chickpeas, fresh tomatoes, firm tofu and fragrant spices, this mock oxtail stew is perfect for a cold winter night. Using an electric pressure cooker melds all the flavors and makes the cooking of this stew super fast.
- Set the EPC (Electric Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot) to sauté/brown mode.
- In a medium bowl coat the tofu with the molasses, salt ,onion powder, garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper and paprika.
- Add the oil to the EPC pot. Sauté the coated tofu in the hot oil until browned.
- Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic to the browned tofu. Sauté until the onions are clear.
- Change the mode on the EPC to manual high pressure.
- Place the vegetable stock, chickpeas, tomato paste, green onions, bay leaf, dried thyme leaves, and crushed red pepper to the EPC pot.
- Lock the lid of the EPC and close the pressure valve.
- Cook for 30 minutes. Manually release the pressure.
- Serve hot.
If you don't have an Instant Pot you can make this in your slow cooker or on your stovetop in a Dutch oven. Simply follow the above instructions and simmer covered for at least 1 hour.