A delicious, traditional, light and chewy 5 lb. water Challah recipe
- 5 pounds bread flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons dry yeast
- 5 1/2 cups warm water
- Dissolve yeast with water and a teaspoon of the sugar.
- Allow to sit 5 minutes until foamy.
- Combine remaining ingredients and dissolved in an extra large mixing bowl*.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, around 5 minutes.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for one hour until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- Take a small portion of dough for the mitzvah of taking Challah**.
- Divide dough into six one-pound Challahs, or 3 two pound Challahs.
- You can also divide the dough into smaller portions for rolls or ½ pound Challahs as well.
- Braid into loaves and let rise another 45 minutes.
- Bake Challahs for approximately 20-30 minutes depending upon the size of the Challahs.
- If making “Rainbow Challah” when a soft dough is formed, divide the dough into multiple sections and add food coloring to each at this time.
- Gloves are recommended for the initial kneading of the coloring into the dough.