|Noah’s Ark Cake
The water & boat are chocolate!!!
- 1 pound mini hot dogs (we love the ones from Romanian Kosher here in Chicago)
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon rapid rise yeast
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Let the yeast sit for 5 minutes until foaming.
- Add the sugar, bread flour and 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour.
- Mix by hand or with a dough hook until the dough is smooth and elastic – around 10 minutes, adding the additional ½ cup of all-purpose flour as needed.
- Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- The dough will not necessarily double in size.
- Preheat oven to 500° F.
- Line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- Divide the dough into 24-32 pieces, depending upon how many mini hot dogs you have.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball and flatten into a 3 to 4 inch ball, slightly larger than the length of a mini hot dog.
- Wrap the dough around the mini hot dog, pressing the seam to seal.
- Repeat with remaining mini hot dogs and the remainder of the dough.
- Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the baking soda and stir to dissolve.
- Dip each pretzel dog in the baking-soda/water for 5 to 10 seconds making sure the pretzel dog is completely immersed.
- Shake off excess water, and place the pretzel dog on the prepared baking sheet, seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining pretzel dogs.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm with ketchup & mustard or your favorite hot dog toppings.