- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose-flour (can be gluten free)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 large green onions, thinly sliced
- Peanut or avocado oil for frying
These delicious latkes are the perfect side dish to any (Chanukah) meal. Sweet from the pineapple and golden raisins and savory from the green onions, carrots and potatoes, these are a family favorite!
- Shred the carrots and potatoes using a food processor or by hand. Combine the shredded carrots and potatoes in a large bowl. Blend in the eggs.
- Stir in the flour, brown sugar, kosher salt and baking powder making sure the mixture is completely blended.
- Stir in the crushed pineapple, raisins and green onions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat around 1/2-inch oil over medium/high heat. You can test the oil for doneness by dropping a small amount of batter in the pan. If it sizzles then the oil is ready for frying.
- Scoop 1/2 cups of batter into the oil, flatten slightly if necessary. Fry until both sides are golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with apple sauce or extra crushed pineapple. These are good hot or cold.
- I heard that adding a carrot to the skillet while frying latkes keeps the oil from turning dark. I plan on trying it the next time I make latkes!