- 5 cups shredded butternut squash (1 medium or 1/2 super large)
- 1 cup shredded apple (1 medium)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced (2 scallions)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2/3 cup flour (can be gluten free)
- peanut or canola oil for frying
A sweet and savory latke recipe with butternut squash, apples, raisins and more. Dear Husband called the squash latkes "Squashkes" and the rest is history.
- In a small bowl combine the apples and the lemon juice.
- In a large bowl mix the apples, squash, (brown sugar), and eggs. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add the flour, salt and black pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in the raisins and scallions.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium/high heat. When a small piece of latke batter sizzles in the oil, the oil is ready for frying. Scoop latkes into the pan. You can turn the heat down to medium if necessary. When the latkes are golden brown on the bottom, flip them and repeat with the second side. Repeat with the remaining latke batter. Serve hot!
- These can be made with gluten free flour.
- The brown sugar is optional. I don't normally add it, but if you like a little sweeter latke you can add it.