- 5 cups butternut squash, shredded (about 1/2 of a large squash)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup flour (can be gluten free)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- peanut or canola oil for frying
When making the first original batch of Squashkes, I only used half of the massive butternut squash I had. I decided to make Simple Squashkes out of the rest. Don't worry if you have a little more or a little less squash than the recipe states. It will turn out fine. Mine did - it was a Chanukah miracle!
- Combine the squash and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until combined. Fold in the raisins.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium/high heat. When a small piece of latke batter sizzles in the oil, the oil is ready for frying. Scoop latkes into the pan. You can turn the heat down to medium if necessary. When the latkes are golden brown on the bottom, flip them and repeat with the second side. Repeat with the remaining latke batter. Serve hot!
- This recipe can be made with gluten free flour.