- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar, superfine is best
- Additional flavorings such as vanilla, or other flavored extract.
- Additional decorations or food colorings.
The most fun, versatile, easy and delicious little treats you can make. Just remember they take a LOT of time in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 215 degrees F or 185 degrees convection.
- Place a silicone mat or parchment sheet on a baking mat. You may need to use more than one baking sheet covered with a silicone mat or parchment sheet.
- Place the egg whites in a large, very clean mixing bowl.
- Start whipping the egg whites on a low speed. Slowly add the granulated sugar a little at a time until it is completely incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a large spatula.
- Increase the speed of the mixer to high.
- Whip the meringue until the whites are stiff but not over dry.
- You can add a teaspoon of your favorite extract to the meringue at this point, mixing until completely combined.
- You can add food coloring to a portion of the meringue at this point as well.
- Pipe/spoon the egg whites onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and the oven light. Allow the meringues to remain in the closed oven with the heat off for an additional hour.
- Remove from the oven and serve!