For the Crust:
1 cup flour (can be gluten free)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons JUST egg replacer (can use 1 large egg)
1 teaspoon canola oil
3/4 cup almond milk
non-stick vegetable spray
For the Cake:
8 tablespoons JUST egg replacer or 2 extra large eggs
2 (8-ounce) cartons Chive Kite Hill Cream Cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained
Additional roasted red peppers for garnish
1 1/2 cups ADDITIONAL WATER
This flavorful, versatile plant based cheesecake is a rich side dish that's a perfect accompaniment to pasta, vegetables, fish. Great for all dietary needs!
For the Crust:
Cut a parchment circle the size of the springform pan. Set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the JUST egg replacer, canola oil and almond milk. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Remove the ring from the 6-inch springform pan and place it on the heated skillet. Spray the inside with non-stick spray.
Spoon the batter into the ring then spread with a spatula to even out.
Cook until the sides of the "pancake" appear cooked through. Carefully remove the ring from around the thick pancake. Using a large spatula, flip the pancake crust over to cook the second side.
Continue to cook until the crust is completely cooked through, around 5 minutes.
Re-assemble the springform pan. Place the prepared parchment circle into the pan. Carefully transfer the large pancake crust to the lined pan. Set aside.
For the Cake:
Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the JUST egg and the Chive Cream Cheese until just smooth. Do not overbeat.
Gently stir in the roasted red peppers until just combined.
Spoon the batter over the prepared pancake crust. Top with additional drained roasted red peppers for garnish.
Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Pour the 1 1/2 cups of ADDITIONAL WATER into the bowl of the Instant Pot.
Place the springform pan on a rack with handles and gently lower the rack into the Instant Pot.
Lock the lid and close the pressure valve.
Cook using manual high pressure for 30 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
Refrigerate covered for at least four hours.
Serve sliced into wedges.
- The crust on this cake is fairly thick. For a thinner crust halve the pancake crust recipe.
- This recipe can be made fully glutenous. Replace the gluten free flour with all purpose flour.
- This recipe can be made using whole eggs as described in the ingredients.
- This recipe can be made dairy. Simply replace the Plant Based Kite Hill Cream Cheese with an equivalent amount of traditional dairy cream cheese.
- If you don't have an Instant Pot or other EPC (Electric Pressure Cooker), you can bake the cheesecake in the oven for 30-45 minutes at 350°F.
- You can substitute another savory flavor of cream cheese for the Chive.