- nonstick vegetable spray
- 2 12-ounce packages High Protein Tofu or Extra Firm Tofu, each cut into 12 strips lengthwise - DO NOT DRY
- 1 package chips/rice cakes finely ground (see note)
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup liquid egg or 2-3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Your favorite dipping sauces.
These crispy fingers make a crispy, crunchy, delicious dinner! You can choose from any of your favorite coatings, or even mix and match! I've also found that using High Protein tofu yields a Crispy Finger that is comparable in texture to a real chicken finger.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil then spray with nonstick vegetable spray. Set aside
- Place the breading/crumbs in a large casserole dish. You can use a 9x13 inch pan as well.
- Place the potato starch in a medium sized pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and canola oil.
- Dip a tofu stick into the potato starch turning until completely coated. Remove the stick from the starch and gently shake of excess starch.
- Dip the stick into the egg mixture, making sure there is no starch showing. Remove the stick from the egg and gently shake off excess egg.
- Immediately press the stick into the breading, turning to make sure the entire stick is completely covered. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining tofu strips.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and using a fork, spatula or tongs, turn the sticks over. Bake for another 5 minutes until the sticks are completely browned.
- Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauces.
- Rice cakes packages will generally be around 3-3.5 ounces, and chip bags should be (at least) 5-6 ounces.
- You may have extra breading left over. Seal it in an airtight container for another recipe.
- You can also use a bag of Trader Joe's Rice Breading...if you can find it!
- You can also fry these Crispy fingers but I found that baking them works as well if not better.
- If using rice cakes or pop chips, season the egg with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper or your favorite seasonings.
- If you are vegan, substitute your favorite egg replacer for the eggs.