- 2 tablespoons Garden Fresh Pesto
- Sliced fresh marinated mozzarella cheese, or sliced mozzarella cheese (enough to cover one slice of bread)
- 2 slices crusty bread
- 1 large tomato slice (optional)
- Nonstick vegetable spray
- Preheat a Panini maker, mini indoor grill, or skillet.
- Spray one slice of the sandwich bread with nonstick spray and place sprayed side down on the grill/skillet.
- Spread the two tablespoons of pesto evenly over the bread, leaving around ½ inch un-pesto’ed around the edges.
- Top with the tomato (if using) and then layer the cheese on top.
- Spray the remaining slice of bread with nonstick spray and place it sprayed side up on top of the cheese.
- Close the grill lid, or press down lightly on the sandwich with a spatula if using a skillet.
- Allow the sandwich to cook for around 5 minutes.
- If using a Panini maker or grill, rotate the sandwich 90° and cook until golden brown.
- If using a skillet, flip the sandwich and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from grill/skillet and slice diagonally.
- Serve hot.
- Use a crusty, hearty bread for these sandwiches. Café of Paris used a wonderful ciabatta bread, but when I went to our local kosher Breadsmith I found out that they had stopped making ciabatta bread and I ended up buying a few loaves of rustic French sandwich bread. It was also fabulous!