- 1 26 ounce jar pasta sauce
- 1 box matzoh, around 8 matzohs
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- additional spices (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 6-8 cups chicken stock
- non-stick vegetable spray or oil
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray a tall 9”x13” pan with non-stick vegetable spray or grease with oil.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, eggs, and any additional spices you prefer.
- Set aside.
- Ladle a half ladleful (around ½ cup) of stock into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Place a matzoh in the pan.
- Ladle a half ladleful (around ½ cup) of stock over the matzoh until moistened, adding additional stock if necessary.
- Some of the stock may drizzle over the sides of the matzoh, don’t worry, it will be absorbed during baking.
- Spread an approximately ½ - ¾ inch layer of ground beef mixture over the moistened matzoh.
- Top with another matzoh, and repeat the ladling and layering process until all the ground beef is used, finishing with a matzoh on top.
- Ladle a half ladleful (around ½ cup) of stock over the final matzoh until moistened.
- Pour the entire jar of pasta sauce over the matzoh, spreading to evenly cover.
- Some of the sauce may drizzle over the sides.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares.
- I usually serve it as a cut whole.
- 1. To reheat: Bake covered for 30-45 minutes in a 350° F oven.
- 2. You can make the Meat Thing with fewer, thicker meat layers, for a delicious alternative to the “regular” recipe.