For the Sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil
For the Meatball Subs
- 1 (10-ounce) package Plant Based/GF Meatballs (12 meatballs total)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (for air frying)
- 4 gluten free hot dog buns, toasted
- plant based mozzarella shreds
Meatball Subs with Homemade Marinara (Plant Based & Gluten Free) are the perfect weeknight dinner. Made with healthy, air fried, plant based Beyond Meat meatballs, fresh homemade marinara, and a toasted gluten free bun. These look complicated to make but couldn't be easier!
For the Meatballs
- Place the meatballs in the basket of an air fryer.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 375°F.
For the Sauce
- While the meatballs are cooking, in a medium stock pot, whisk together the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and garlic oil.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread Homemade marinara on the base of a toasted bun. Place three meatballs on the sauce.
- Top the meatballs with additional sauce. Sprinkle with plant based mozzarella if desired.
- Finish the sub by placing the top part of the toasted bun on the cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining buns.
- Serve hot with extra sauce and plant based mozzarella if desired.
If you don't have garlic oil for the sauce, use 1 tablespoon olive oil and one clove garlic. If you don't have an air fryer or prefer not to use one, you can brown/cook the meatballs in a skillet or in a 375°F oven for 15 minutes. You can use your favorite jarred marinara sauce but the fresh is best!