- 1 1/2 pounds "cholent meat" (chuck, flanken, fertiloff) left whole
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (around 3 large), peeled and cubed
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Cooking the meat before the rest of the ingredients ensures that the tzimmes meat is butter soft and the carrot and sweet potatoes are just right. Totally delicious!
- Place a rack on the bottom of the EPC (Electric Pressure Cooker) pot.
- Add the 3/4 cup water, then place the meat on top of the rack.
- Lock the lid and close the pressure valve.
- Cook using manual high pressure for 50 minutes. Immediately manually release the pressure when the meat is done cooking.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board, and the extra liquid to a measuring cup or bowl. Cut the meat into large pieces. Set aside. Remove the rack from the EPC pot.
- Set the EPC to saute'/brown mode.
- Add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the pot, then add the onion and garlic. Saute' until the onion is clear. Turn off the pressure cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot along with the cut meat. Stir gently to combine.
- Cook using manual high pressure for 7 minutes, then manually release the pressure.
- Transfer the Meat Tzimmes to a large casserole/serving dish.
- If there is a lot of liquid on the bottom of the EPC pot, set the EPC to saute'/brown and cook the liquid until it is reduced, stirring constantly.
- Pour the reduced sauce over the Meat Tzimmes. Serve hot/warm.
- This recipe can be made using a traditional pressure cooker or on a stove top. Adjust cooking times accordingly.