- 10 ounces almond macaroons, crumbled
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon olive or safflower oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 cups whole, raw almonds, coarsley chopped
The gluten free Almond Pie bars are incredibly sweet, crunchy, chewy, caramely, and addictive. You're going to want to make double, no triple, no quadruple the recipe. They. Are. That. Good.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9”x13” pan with non-stick vegetable spray or cover the bottom with parchment paper, leaving some of the paper to come up 2 sides of the pan. Set aside.
For the crust
- Press the macaroons evenly onto the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes until the sides of the crust start to brown.
For the filling
- While the crust is baking, place the oil, sugar, cream and honey into a 2-3 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture starts to bubble. Add the almonds and stir to combine.
- Pour the filling over the baked crust. Smooth the almonds so that they are evenly distributed over the crust. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing into bars.
- You can use pecans or toasted pumpkin seeds instead of almonds.
- You can drizzle chocolate over these. As if they weren't crazy enough already!