- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels, (yields around 9 cups popped)
- nonstick vegetable spray
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plant based margarine (1/2 stick)
- 1 (3-ounce) package clear, unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons hibiscus powder
Hibiscus Popcorn is new and incredibly delicious, made using natural dried hibiscus powder.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cover a large sheet pan with foil. Spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick vegetable spray. Air pop the kernels into the prepared bowl. Set aside.
- In a small 3 quart saucepan, combine the sugar, margarine, gelatin and hibiscus powder. Cook over medium/low heat until the margarine and sugar are melted, stirring constantly with a heat resistant spatula. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour the hibiscus syrup over the popcorn. Use two forks to toss and completely coat the popcorn.
- Transfer the popcorn to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely then break into small pieces.
I will sometimes us the forks to re-coat the popcorn after it's been baked.