- 1 medium onion, finely diced (around 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Rinse rice until water runs clear.
- Melt margarine in a large stock pot.
- Add onions and sauté until soft and clear.
- Add vegetable stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add saffron and stir to blend.
- Add rice and stir to combine.
- Return stock to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Serve warm.
- 1. If you don’t have vegetable stock handy, you can use water and 1-2 tablespoons of consommé mix instead. Omit the salt.
- 2. This recipe is gluten-free! Great for the GFE (Gluten Free Eater) and everyone else too!