- 2 large beets, peeled & sliced into 1 1/2 by 1/4 inch strips remaining beet scraps from the spiralized beet salad cut into small strips
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons beet root powder (optional) - but give the borscht a more borschty flavor)
- 8-10 cups water (8 if not adding the beet root powder)
- Combine all the ingredients into a large stock pot.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Serve hot or cold, topped with boiled potatoes and/or sour cream.