- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (can be gluten free)
- olive oil for frying
NOT your average potato latke! These delicious latkes are made with fragrant basmati rice and tumeric.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until onions are clear. Add rice and stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes until all the stock is absorbed. Off heat and let the rice stand for 5 additional minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow the rice to cool.
- Add the corn, garbanzo beans, turmeric, salt, pepper, eggs, and flour. Mix until completely combined.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Using a large soup spoon or scooper, scoop around 1/3 cup of rice mixture into a ball. Press the ball flat making sure that the rice all sticks together into a latke shape. Place the latke into the oil, repeating until the pan is filled with latkes but not crowded. Fry the latkes until the bottom is golden brown, then turn and repeat with the second side. Do not flip the latkes until they are golden brown or they might fall apart. Repeat with the remaining rice mixture. Serve hot with cool, creamy, sour cream.
- You can use the favorite Kosher Everyday SPICE PACKET to season these latkes as well. If using the Spice Packet omit the sea salt and black pepper from the recipe.