- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 16 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 20-28 ounces pasta sauce of your choice
- non-stick vegetable spray
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese for topping (optional)
- Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick vegetable spray.
- Add salt and oil to a large pot of water. Bring to a boil. Add the jumbo pasta shells, making sure that none of the shells stick together.
- Boil for 5 minutes. Do not drain. Add cold water to the pot of shells, draining small amounts of water and adding additional cold water until the water is just warm to the touch. The shells should be covered with water and not be completely cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, mozzarella, eggs, and pepper. Stir until thoroughly blended.
- Remove a single shell from the water. Shake off the excess water.
- Place a heaping teaspoonful of cheese filling into the shell. Place into the prepared pan.
- Repeat with remaining shells.
- Cover shells with the pasta sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and top with additional mozzarella cheese. Serve warm.
If you have more time and more resources than during a family vacation, you can add any of the following to the cheese mixture: chopped spinach, basil, sautéd or grilled vegetables, chopped broccoli, parmesan cheese, or diced peppers.