- 2 cups red quinoa, rinsed then prepared according to package directions
- 1 large red beet, cooked, cooled, peeled then diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large navel orange, washed with vegi wash or vinegar to remove the waxes on the peel
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups slivered blanched almonds
This quinoa is surprisingly light and citrusy. The added orange peel, orange and lime juices compliment the beets. The red quinoa gives this recipe a nice texture as well.
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add the diced beets to the quinoa.
- Using a zester (not a microplane), completely zest the outside of the orange, removing the zest in long strips. Add the zest to the quinoa.
- Use a sharp paring knife to remove the peel and the pith (the white part of the orange). Cut the orange along the membranes to remove the segments of the orange from the fruit. Cut the orange segments into 1/2 inch pieces and add to the quinoa.
- Squeeze the remaining orange membrane (and whatever fruit is left) over the quinoa. There should be a few tablespoons of juice left in the orange.
- Add the chopped green onions, lime juice, salt, pepper and blanched slivered almonds. Toss to combine. Served chilled garnished with additional orange wedges/slices.