- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (can be gluten free)
- olive or canola oil for frying
These latkes are sweet, comforting, and delicious. Top with a scoop, or two, or three of cold, creamy, sweet vanilla ice cream. When the ice cream starts to slowly melt down the latkes...OMG!!!
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until onions are clear. Add rice and stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes until all the stock is absorbed. Off heat and let the rice stand for 5 additional minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow the rice to cool.
- Add the coconut milk, raisins, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, salt, eggs, and flour. Mix until completely combined.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Using a large soup spoon or ice cream scooper, scoop around 1/3 cup of rice mixture into the pan. Press the ball flat with the spoon or scoop making sure that the rice all sticks together into a latke shape. Repeat until the pan is filled with latkes but not crowded. Fry the latkes until the bottom is golden brown, then turn and repeat with the second side. Do not flip the latkes until they are golden brown or they might fall apart. Repeat with the remaining rice mixture. Serve hot with cool, creamy, vanilla ice cream.
- You can use non-stick vegetable spray instead of frying in oil, while the latkes will be way less oily they won’t be quite as crispy.