- 1/2 cup, whole almonds
- 1/3 cup favorite sweetener
- 3 large egg whites room temperature
- 2 tablespoons favorite sweetener
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 15 whole almonds
- Powdered sugar for finishing
These are the perfect light, pop-in-your-mouth treat.
- Heat oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone mat. Set aside.
- In a food processor, chop nuts with 1/3 cup sweetener until nuts are finely ground.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until foamy. Add the salt and two tablespoons sweetener until soft peaks form. Add the almond extract and cinnamon beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in nut mixture.
- With a spoon, drop 15 evenly spaced mounds. Press a whole almond into the top of each mound onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake meringues on center oven rack 1½ hours, until golden and very dry. Turn off oven and let meringues dry in oven until cool. Carefully peel meringues off parchment. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the cookies.
- Store in an airtight container.
- You can use sugar, stevia or any powdered sweetener. If using sweetener packets the Atkins site recommends using 10 packets of sucralose type sweetener.
- I've made this recipe with three and four egg whites. The recipe with four ends up with the cookies being slightly flatter.
- You can also use 1/2 cup ground almonds instead of grinding whole almonds.