For the Potato
- 1 large potato, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups boiling water
For the vegetables
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, defrosted
For the Latke
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar or part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour (can be gluten free one to one)
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil or non-aerosol olive oil (or avocado) spray for frying
A healthy way to have your Chanukah Latkes and Eat them Too!
- In a large measuring glass combine the boiling water and shredded potatoes. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Spray the skillet with olive oil spray. Add the spinach, diced tomato, and sliced mushrooms, and saute until the mushrooms are soft.
- Off the heat. Transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl. Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
- Drain the potatoes into a mesh bag or dish cloth. Over the sink, wring out any additional liquid from the potatoes. Add the potatoes to the vegetables.
- Stir the cheese, eggs, flour, salt and pepper into the vegetables.
- Heat the skillet over medium/high heat. Spray with olive oil spray or pour in oil for frying.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture onto the skillet. Fry the latkes until brown, then flip and brown on the second side. Remove from the pan and repeat until all the latke mixture is used.
- Serve hot.
- You can use almost any type of your favorite vegetable in these latkes.
- The best frying oils for these latkes are avocado or peanut oil.
- You can substitute the cheese for your favorite type.