- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (pareve)
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Additional water and a pastry brush (preferably silicone)
- In a 1 or 2 quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and warm water.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring continuously, until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Continue to cook over medium-high heat without stirring, occasionally washing the sides of the pan with the pastry brush with water to avoid any possible crystallization on the sides of the pot.
- Cook until the sugar mixture turns a rich amber color.
- Carefully add the cream, stirring until completely smooth.
- Add the butter or margarine and vanilla extract.
- Allow to cool, stirring occasionally until thickened.