- 1 pound baby portabella mushrooms (crimini), finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (or two small, around 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (or one frozen cube)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces wonton wrappers (around 48)
- Water for brushing wrappers
- Canola oil for frying
- Line a large cookie sheet with paper towels. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, then add the garlic and onions. Sauté until golden brown over medium-high heat, around 3 minutes. Add the diced mushrooms and sauté until all the liquid is absorbed, around 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Working with one wonton wrapper at a time, place a wonton wrapper on a cutting board. Using a pastry brush, brush the bottom ends of the wonton wrapper with a small amount of water – do not make the wrapper too wet. Fill with approximately one teaspoon of mushroom filling. Fold the wrapper over the filling and press to seal. Set aside and repeat with remaining wontons.
- Heat around ¼ inch of canola oil in a skillet, over medium-high heat. Fry wontons until golden brown on each side. Remove from the skillet and place on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining wontons.