FOR THE DOGS
- 3 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (400g)
- 1 cup tapioca or potato starch (140g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 8 hot dogs, each hot dog cut into 4
- Nonstick spray or oil to coat pan
- 6 cups water
- 4 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup minced dried onion (optional)
- Dipping sauces (optional)
- Large baking sheet
- Aluminum Foil
- Large plastic cutting board
- Vinyl powder free disposable gloves (optional)
- Large slotted spoon
- Pastry brush (optional)
These Awesome Bagel Dogs are worth the effort! They are best warm, dipped in your favorite sauces, but I won't tell if you eat them cold!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 325 degrees convection.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil. Grease pan with spray or oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, starch, baking powder and salt. Whisk to remove any lumps.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then add the vinegar, honey and water. Gently knead the together all the ingredients to form a stiff dough.
- On a large (preferably plastic) cutting board, roll the dough into a cylinder approximately 8 inches long. Cut the dough into two pieces, then cut the two pieces into four pieces each, making 8 even pieces.. Cut each of the 8 pieces into 4 small pieces, totaling 32 pieces all together.
- Take one of the 32 pieces of dough and roll it into a small ball. Flatten into a circle on the cutting board.
- Place one of the hot dog pieces on the center of the dough. Fold the dough around the hot dog piece. Roll the coated dog between your palms to even the dough around the dog. Flatten the ends of the dough. Set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and hot dog pieces.
- Combine the water and baking soda together in a medium saucepan. Stir to dissolve the baking soda. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Drop several dogs into the water. Simmer just until the dogs start to float. Immediately, carefully remove each dog and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining dogs.
- Brush each bagel dog with beaten egg. Sprinkle with the dried minced onion (optional).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Be careful not to over bake or the bagel dogs will be dry.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauces.
- You can use either tapioca or potato starch for this recipe, tapioca is preferred but potato starch will be nearly as good.
- You can use either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar for this recipe with similar results.
- Vinyl disposable gloves work best. If you don't have them you can use slightly damp hands to roll the bagel dogs.
- These bagel dogs are best served warm. They can be stored in the fridge or freezer, but make sure to re-warm them before serving.
- You can make these bagel dogs plant based by using vegan franks.
- To reduce the calories on these bagel dogs, use a reduced fat hot dog or chicken dog.