Mint Chocolate Popcorn Snack Mix
I came up with the idea for Mint Chocolate Popcorn Snack Mix while developing Dark Hot Chocolate Popcorn with Chocolate Drizzle and while shopping in Trader Joe’s.
How I found the ingredients for Mint Chocolate Popcorn Snack Mix
All the ingredients came together, as you might expect.
The Mint Hot Chocolate Mix
When I was looking for a hot chocolate mix for Dark Hot Chocolate Popcorn with Chocolate Drizzle, I found that the same company made a mint hot chocolate mix.
That sounded amazing. Of course I ordered it. I mean, mint hot chocolate. Dairy free meant it could be drunk after a wonderful Shabbat (meat) meal. Gluten free meant I, or anyone else, could drink it. The only downside was that it’s not calorie free. Bummer.
The Mint Flavored Marshmallows
I found the Marvelous Mint Hot Chocolate Mix before I found any of the other snack mix ingredients.
Then I walked through Trader Joe’s.
If you’re familiar with Trader Joe’s then you know that around this time of year there are all kinds of winter holiday treats that will not be available any other time of year.
That’s good. That’s bad.
It’s good because there are marvelous foodstuffs to be found throughout the aisles.
That’s bad because they are not stocked year round.
It was during one of my perusals that I found Kosher Peppermint Flavored Marshmallows. If I didn’t see them, pick them up and examine them, I never would have believed it.
I ended up looking for another brand of Kosher mint flavored marshmallows on Amazon because I knew that if anyone wanted to make this recipe after the winter holiday season, there would need to be a backup variety. I’ll put those in the links at the bottom of the recipe.
The Chocolate Mint Cream Candies
I happened to have a bag of Barton’s Mint Cream Candies in my pantry. I had purchased them around Passover time (yes they are that old, and yes they were perfectly good because they were well sealed) to make a mint macaroon brownie with mint candy topping.
These candies are really similar in flavor to the Andie’s Chocolate Mints. The upside is that they are pareve (a.k.a Dairy-Free) which is what I was looking for for the snack mix. I was able to find a couple alternatives on Amazon as well which I’ll put in the recipe. The truth is you should be able to find mint candies at your local favorite store.
Here’s the recipe
Without further ado here’s the recipe. This is one of my all time favorite popcorn mixes. Be prepared to make a lot.
I mean a lot.Print
Mint Chocolate Popcorn Snack Mix – The perfect party snack mix with mint chocolate popcorn, chocolate mint candy chunks and mint flavored popcorn. Minty chocolate fun for everyone!
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels, (yields around 9 cups popped)
- nonstick vegetable spray
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plant based margarine (1/2 stick)
- 1 (3-ounce) package clear, unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup Castle Kitchen Marvelous Mint Dark Chocolate Premium Hot Chocolate Mix
- 5–7 ounce package of chocolate mint candies, chopped into chunks
- 5-ounce bag peppermint mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cover a large sheet pan with foil. Spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick vegetable spray. Air pop the kernels into the prepared bowl. Set aside.
- In a small 3 quart saucepan, combine the sugar, margarine, gelatin and mint hot chocolate mix. Cook over medium/low heat until the margarine and sugar are melted, stirring constantly with a heat resistant spatula. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour the hot chocolate syrup over the popcorn. Use two forks to toss and completely coat the popcorn.
- Transfer the popcorn to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely then break into small pieces.
- Transfer the popcorn to a large serving bowl. Add the chocolate mint candy chunks and the peppermint mini marshmallows. Toss to blend the ingredients into an awesome minty snack mix.
- Store any leftovers (if there are any) in an airtight container.
Keywords: Popcorn, Gourmet Popcorn, Mint Popcorn, Mint Chocolate Popcorn, Kosher, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Snack Mix, Festive, Holiday Snack, Pareve
For more Gourmet Popcorn recipes check out my post 12+ Gourmet Popcorn Recipes.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. Thanks so much for your support.