- 1 lb Hash Browns (defrosted if frozen)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Canola Oil for frying
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined. In a large skillet, heat oil. Drop large spoonfuls of potato mixture into the oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. Serve warm with apple sauce or sour cream.
- ZUCCHINI OR SWEET POTATO HASH BROWN LATKES
- Add 2-3 large grated zucchinis or 2 large grated sweet potatoes to the mix. Add one additional egg, 2 tablespoons flour, and ¼ teaspoon baking powder to the potato mixture. Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- SOUTHWEST HASH BROWN POTATO LATKES
- Use Southwest style hash brown potatoes. As potatoes are pre-spiced, omit pepper from recipe. Proceed as directed above. These can be served with Salsa on the side.
- CHEESY HASH BROWN POTATO LATKES
- Add 8 ounces of shredded mozerella or cheddar to the latke mix. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Serve warm with marinara sauce.