Packed with vegetables, this easy to make soup is a great addition to any meal. The sweet potatoes, parsnip and turnip add extra sweetness to this heartwarming soup. You can also add whatever vegetables you find at the last of the farmer’s markets, on the “buy today” shelf of your produce store, or just add your favorite vegetables.
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium yellow squash, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 4 small yellow potatoes (around 1 pound), cubed
- 1 large sweet potato (around 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch green onions (around 8), sliced
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- 32 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Croutons and sliced green onions for serving.
For traditional stovetop Vegetabley Vegetable Soup
- Place all the vegetables in a large 8-quart, or larger, stock pot. Add the vegetable stock and the water.
- Sprinkle the turmeric, black pepper and kosher salt over the top of the soup. Stir to blend.
- Cover the soup and bring it to a simmer over high heat. As soon as the soup starts to simmer, lower the heat to low and cook for at least 1 hour.
For Slow Cooker Vegetabley Vegetable Soup
- Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker pot.
- Allow the soup to simmer for at least 2 hours and then keep it on warm.
For Electric Pressure Cooker (read: Instant Pot) Vegetabley Vegetable Soup
- Combine all the ingredients in the pressure cooker pot.
- Lock the lid and close the pressure valve. Cook for 30 minutes using manual-high pressure mode.
- Naturally release the pressure for 20 minutes then manually release the pressure.
Serve topped with croutons and additional sliced green onions.
I used green onion in this recipe but you can substitute a medium sweet onion cut into wedges instead if you like.
Leftover soup can be stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
My Mother (z”l) used to say that you wanted soup to “smile” (simmer) not “laugh” (bubble) while cooking for the best results.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 90
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 426.8 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.4 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Vegetable Soup, Vegan, Plant Based, Healthy, Nutritious, Pareve, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Meat Free