By using low fat cream cheese and reduced fat milk you can make a creamy and decadent alfredo without it being a “heart attack on a plate”. The spinach pasta is delicious and not too complicated to make – and it has spinach = healthy!!
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced (1 small)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 3 ounces smoked salmon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- In a medium 2 ½ quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Increase heat to medium, add onion, and sauté until clear, around 2 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper and sauté for another minute to bring out the flavor of the pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and blend in cream cheese and stir until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in salmon, parsley, black pepper and nutmeg until combined.
- Whisk in flour until completely absorbed.
- Slowly add milk and whisk over medium heat until the sauce thickens, 3-5 minutes.