Who knew you could make a healthier Yerushalmi Kugel with Spaghetti Squash?!!!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 cup sugar (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1–2 teaspoons black pepper (to taste)
- Cook spaghetti squash (either 45 minutes in a 350* oven or 12-20 minutes on high in the microwave) until the sides are soft when pressed.
- Cool slightly.
- Cut the squash in half and discard the seeds.
- With a large spoon, scoop out the squash into a large microwaveable mixing bowl.
- Set aside.
- While preparing the caramel, warm the squash in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- It is important that the squash be warm before pouring the caramel over it or the caramel will harden into brittle in the kugel.
- If necessary, drain additional liquid from the bowl.
- In a 2 quart saucepan combine the cup of sugar, water, and corn syrup.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase temperature to medium/high heat and cook without stirring until the syrup is a deep amber color.
- Watch the syrup closely, it can burn.
- Quickly remove from heat and stir in the oil.
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the warm squash.
- Quickly stir until the sugar is completely blended with the squash.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Taste the mixture. (Some spaghetti squash is sweeter than others)
- You may need to add additional sugar to taste.
- Blend in the eggs until completely combined.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Serving Size: 12