Pepper Crusted Tuna Salad is one of my all time favorite salads. It’s filled with pepper crusted, perfectly seared, sushi grade tuna, caramelized pineapple, fresh avocado and gorgeous fresh greens! It’s a perfect dinner, or anytime, salad!
For the Tuna
- 12 ounce sushi grade fillet of fresh tuna
- 1/4 cup rainbow peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
For the Pineapple
- 1 tablespoon plant based margarine
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces mixed greens
- 1 large avocado, thinly sliced or two small
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- Brianna’s Mandarin Ginger Dressing (optional)
For the tuna
- Brush the tuna with the toasted sesame oil on both sides.
- Place the crushed peppercorns in a large dinner plate. Press the coated tuna into the peppercorns until completely covered on both sides.
- Heat a tablespoon of canola oil in a large skillet. Cook the tuna for around 2 minutes on each side over medium/high heat. You should see the edges of the tuna close to the pan turning opaque, that is the time to flip the tuna.
- After searing the tuna on both sides, set it aside to rest while cooking the pineapple. Do not clean the skillet.
For the pineapple
- Place the plant based margarine in the skillet used to sear the tuna, and cook over medium heat until melted.
- Add the drained pineapple tidbits, brown sugar and salt.
- Sauté until the pineapple starts to brown and caramelize. Set Aside.
- Slice the tuna into thin slices against the grain. Set aside.
- At this point you can plate the salad on individual plates or in a large salad bowl.
- Place the mixed salad greens in a large bowl. Top with the caramelized pineapple, sliced tuna, sliced avocado, green onions, sesame seeds and optional dressing.
- You can toss the salad or create a decorative pattern with the tuna, pineapple and avocado.
- Serve cold.
You can use two smaller tuna steaks if you like, just make sure not to overcook them.
You can use 1 tablespoon of tuxedo sesame seeds instead of separate black and white sesame seeds.
If you have fresh pineapple, you can dice it into small tidbits and follow the recipe for sautéing the pineapple.
Purchase the freshest, pinkest, fresh sushi grade tuna you can find.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 8.6 g
- Sodium: 79.4 mg
- Fat: 8.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.2 g
- Protein: 11.9 g
- Cholesterol: 16.6 mg
Keywords: Seared Tuna, Peppercorn Tuna, Tuna Salad, Pineapple, Sushi Grade Tuna, Avocado, Healthy Salad, Kosher Salad, Gluten Free, Kosher, Dairy Free, Meat Free