Overnight Blueberry French Toast is the perfect make ahead, family friendly, gluten free breakfast/brunch/party food. Bursting with blueberry flavor it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends!
- Nonstick vegetable spray
- 1 (9-ounce) day old French Bread or Sourdough bread, sliced
- 3 eggs or 2/3 cup plant based eggs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plant based margarine, 1/2 stick
- 1 cup fresh blueberries plus more for garnish
- maple syrup (optional)
- Grease a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Arrange the sliced bread in the dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in milk until well blended.
- Pour the milk mixture over the bread in the baking dish. Turn the bread slices to coat well.
- Tightly cover the baking dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove the baking dish from the refrigerator and uncover. Turn the bread slices over.
- Scatter the blueberries over the bread, then evenly sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot with additional blueberries and maple syrup.
The original recipe calls for dark brown sugar. I used light brown sugar but the dark will result in a slightly richer flavor.
If you can find gluten free French bread it will result in a slightly milder flavored French toast.
In a pinch you can use any day old gluten free bread, although it may result in a mushier French toast and the bread (depending upon many variables) may dissolve.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 13.3 g
- Sodium: 298.8 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.9 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Cholesterol: 69.8 mg
Keywords: Overnight French Toast, Blueberry French Toast, Baked French Toast, Gluten Free, Plant Based, Dairy Free, Brunch, Breakfast