Kale and Apple Tri-Colored Quinoa is a bowl that’s not only visually stunning with its tricolor palette but also a harmonious blend of flavors and textures. The nutty quinoa, the slight bitterness of the kale, and the sweet, refreshing apple—each element plays its part to create a satisfying and nourishing dish.
For the Quinoa
- 1 cup tri-colored quinoa, raw
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups diced red apples, Gala or Honey Crisp (around 3 medium)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 cups fresh kale, stems removed and cut into bite size pieces (around 4 ounces)
- 2 large green onions, sliced (around 2/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 cup slivered almonds (optional)
For the Quinoa
- In a large stock pot with a tight fitting lid, combine the tri-colored quinoa with the water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer (or the lowest temperature on your burner) and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the quinoa from the heat. Uncover and gently fluff with a fork.
- Allow the quinoa to cool completely.
- Heat the olive oil in a large wok or skillet. Add the diced apples and sauté for a two minutes over medium heat, then add the maples syrup. Cook, stirring constantly, for another three minutes until the apples start to soften and caramelize a little.
- Add the orange juice and cook for an additional four to five minutes until the juice is mostly absorbed.
- Off the heat and toss in the kale, stirring for around 30 seconds until the kale is softened. Add the cooled quinoa, then the green onions, salt, black pepper, dried cranberries and slivered almonds (if using).
- Serve warm or cold.
I found I didn’t need to rinse the Trader Joe’s tri-color quinoa. It’s very clean. Your own quinoa may need rinsing before cooking to remove the bitter coating.
The quinoa can be prepared a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 142
- Sugar: 8.9 g
- Sodium: 242.7 mg
- Fat: 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.7 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Kale, Quinoa, Apples, Healthy, Nutritious, plant based, gluten free, dairy free, pareve, meat free