Gochujang Caramel Cookies are the perfect combination of sweet and spicy…in a cookie! Gochujang is a spicy Korean paste that when combined with sweet brown sugar makes a rich spicy caramel. Added to cookie batter it makes the perfect “swicey” treat!
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) plant based butter
- 2 packed tablespoons dark brown sugar (see note)
- 1 heaping tablespoon gochujang
- 1 cup/200 grams granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt or 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2cups/185 grams gluten free 1:1 flour
For the Gochujang Caramel Paste
- In a small bowl, stir together the plant based butter, brown sugar and gochujang paste until smooth. Set aside.
For the Cookie Dough
- Preheat oven tov350°F or 325°F convection mode.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 7 tablespoons of plant based butter, sugar, egg, salt cinnamon and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in the flour and baking soda.
- Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to thicken the dough.
To make the Gochujang Caramel Cookies
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Spoon several, spaced out, blobs of the gochujang caramel mixture over the dough.
- Using a flat spatula or knife, cut through the dough to create veins/streaks of caramel in the dough. Be careful not to overmix. You want wide, distinct strips of gochujang.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop 12 cookies onto each baking sheet, making sure to leave maximum space between each cookie.
- Bake for 12 minutes until the cookies are golden on the edges, rotating the pans halfway through baking.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Cookies will flatten slightly as they cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 8.9 g
- Sodium: 103.9 mg
- Fat: 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 7.8 mg
Keywords: Gochujang, Cookies, Gochujang Caramel, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Pareve, Vegetarian, Cookie Recipe